A 5-year-old boy who was thrown off a third-story balcony at the Mall of America in a random attack nearly five months ago has recovered enough to leave the hospital, his loved ones said.
Landen completed inpatient rehabilitation and has entered “the next phase of recovery,” which will take place at his home, his family said Tuesday on GoFundMe.
Landen will undergo “continued outpatient rehabilitation for multiple injuries and adjusting to life back at home and school,” his family said.
Landen was with his family at the Minnesota mall on April 12 when a stranger grabbed him and threw him over the balcony, officials said. The child fell nearly 40 feet before landing on the ground.
He was rushed to the nearby Children’s Minnesota hospital in critical condition.
The man responsible, 25-year-old Emmanuel Aranda, was charged with attempted premeditated murder.
He pleaded guilty in May and was sentenced to 19 years in prison.
Investigators said Aranda told them he went to the shopping hub “looking for someone to kill” after his romantic advances had been repeatedly turned down by women.
Aranda on Friday filed a notice to appeal his case to the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Further details surrounding the appeal were not immediately available.
Landen underwent multiple surgeries for head trauma and broken bones he suffered from the attack. In August, Landen was moved from the hospital’s intensive care unit into a rehabilitation program.
“Thank you to all of you who prayed for us and loved us during the past 4 1/2 months,” they said. “You helped to give us hope and show us the Glory of God’s great love here on earth even during the darkest of days.”
Landen’s family provided updates on his condition through a GoFundMe page created to help offset medical costs. As of Wednesday, more than $1 million had been raised.