The City of Chicago is suing actor Jussie Smollett for the cost of investigation into his case.
A civil complaint was filed against Smollett in the Circuit Court of Cook County, citing the actor’s “refusal to reimburse the City of Chicago for the cost of police overtime spent investigating his false police report.”
It was previously reported that the city was suing the “Empire” actor for $130,000, but the undisclosed amount the city is asking for is allegedly higher, according to Fox News.
Charges against Smollett were dropped on March 26. Chicago police had accused the 36-year-old of filing a false police report when he claimed he was attacked by two masked men who yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him, and put a rope around his neck on Jan. 29.
Later, two brothers who knew Smollett claimed he paid them to stage the alleged attack. Smollett wrote a $3,500 check to one of the brothers before the incident. Smollett claimed the check was for training and nutrition advice. The brothers had provided him with personal training services in the past.
The Cook County State’s Attorney Office said they dropped the charges after “reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case.” They also cited Smollett’s volunteer service in the city and the fact that he forfeited his bond.
The actor has maintained his innocence throughout the entire ordeal.
“I would not bring my family ... through a fire like this," Smollett told reporters after the charges were dropped. "I will always continue to fight for the justice and equality ... of marginalized people everywhere."
Smollett’s attorneys have not spoken out since the city filed the suit but previously said in a statement that the city dropping the charges against the actor was the correct decision.
“We got to a result that is the right result in this case and we're happy," attorney Patricia Holmes said.