When a 15-year-old Illinois student couldn't attend prom after she was badly burned in an accidental explosion, her friends brought prom to her.
Korryn Bachner, of Lombard, was at a bonfire at the end of April when someone poured gasoline on the fire, causing an explosion that injured 12 people. Bachner was burned on more than 90 percent of her face and was hospitalized for nearly two weeks after the accident.
With her entire head wrapped in bandages, Korryn was no longer planning to attend prom with her friend Jonathan who’d invited her to his senior dance, but he was determined to do what he could to have her as his date.
"He had been telling me all along while she was in the hospital that he was going to bring prom to her even if she was still in the hospital," Ellen Starzyk Bachner, Korryn’s mom, told InsideEdition.com.
On the day of the prom, Korryn's friends came over to help her get dressed and put on jewelry. Others stopped by on their way to the prom. Jonathan put up twinkle lights and decorated the home.
Korryn and her friends posed on her porch in front of a sign with the hashtag, #yougotthis.
As other kids went to prom, a group of friends stayed with Korryn throughout the night.
"It was just emotional in a very good way because it showed how strong she is and how good of a group of friends she has," Bachner said.
Bachner said what happened to her daughter is awful, but things are getting better every day.
"If I could take this pain away from her, I would do it in a heartbeat," Bachner said. "You don’t want any kid to ever get hurt, but a burn to a 15-year-old girl’s face, it’s awful."
She said Korryn has remained strong and she hopes to eventually see her back to doing the things she loves, like being on the cheerleading squad.
“I believe she can beat this and she’s going to come out of this stronger than she ever was. It’s just a long road so we need patience," Bachner said. “It’s one day at a time."
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help support Korryn's family. You can donate by clicking here.