Harvey Weinstein Charged With Rape After Turning Himself In to New York Police
The disgraced producer has been charged with first- and third-degree rape as well as first-degree sex act in a second case.
Harvey Weinstein has surrendered to police in New York to face charges in two cases of sexual misconduct.
The disgraced Hollywood producer was charged with first- and third-degree rape as well as first-degree sex act in a second case.
Weinstein appeared in a lower Manhattan courtroom Friday morning, where he pleaded not guilty.
In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, Rose McGowan, who has accused Weinstein of sexual assault and remains one of his most vocal critics, was among those reacting to news of his impending arrest.
"I, and so many of Harvey Weinstein's survivors, had given up hope that our rapist would be held accountable by law. Twenty years ago, I swore that I would right this wrong. Today we are one step closer to justice," the actress said through her representatives.
In one of the cases, Weinstein was reportedly charged with the alleged sexual assault of actress Lucia Evans, who has told police that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004 when she went to his office for a casting session.
She is one of more than 30 women who have come forward with allegations against Weinstein, ranging from rude behavior to rape.
Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.
The allegations against the producer of such Oscar-winning films as "Shakespeare in Love," "The Artist" and "The King’s Speech" triggered the #MeToo movement last fall after reports surfaced of his alleged behavior.
Following the allegations, his wife of 10 years, Georgina Chapman, announced she was leaving her husband.
"My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions," she told People magazine in a statement last October. "I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority."
Chapman recently spoke to Vogue where she admitted she was "humiliated" and "broken" by the allegations.
"There was a part of me that was terribly naive — clearly, so naive," Chapman told Vogue magazine. "I have moments of rage, I have moments of disbelief!"
Her fashion label, Marchesa, had been shunned on the red carpet, until Scarlett Johansson wore an off-the-shoulder gown from Chapman’s company at the Met Gala in New York City earlier this month.
Trending on Inside Edition
Video Shows Pandemonium as Storm Knocks Down Tent, Injuring Guests at Atlanta WeddingNews
Mystery as 4 Friends Found Shot to Death in Wisconsin Cornfield, Police Have Scant Leads and No MotiveCrime
Inside Edition Investigates if NYC Restaurants Are Checking if Indoor Diners Are Vaccinated as Per New RuleInvestigative
Dog the Bounty Hunter’s Daughters Say They Were Cut Out of Their Dad's Life After Mom's DeathEntertainment
Gabby Petito in Tears After Aug. 12 Fight With Boyfriend in Utah, Bodycam Video ShowsCrime