The mother of a baby thrown to his death from a Connecticut bridge has filed $15 million in claims against the state’s child welfare department, saying officials didn’t do enough to protect her child.
Adrianne Oyola, 19, is petitioning the state Claims Commissioner for permission to sue the Department of Children and Families over the death of 7-month-old Aaden Moreno.
The baby’s father is accused of murder. Police say he threw the infant into the Connecticut River, then jumped after him from the Arrigoni Bridge last July.
Oyola claims the department knew of Tony Moreno’s "dangerous propensities directed toward both" the baby and his mother, the Hartford Courant reported Wednesday.
In the weeks leading up to the child’s death, Oyola had a temporary restraining order against Moreno. State officials said the mother failed to attend a court hearing that would have extended the order banning Moreno from having contact with the mother and child.
"They knew or should have known of Tony Moreno’s violent propensities, abhorrent behavior and threats, yet failed to take appropriate action," the claim says, according to the paper.
Moreno has pleaded not guilty to murdering his son on July 5, 2015. He is being held in lieu of $2.1 million bail.
The restraining order against him expired on June 29, the paper said.
A DCF spokesman said last year that staff had visited the mother’s home and conducted a safety assessment. She was no longer living with child’s father and she had prevented him from seeing the child, the spokesman said.
Moreno had called his mother from the bridge where he stood with his baby, authorities said. As his mom and police arrived, Moreno threw the child over the rail, and Moreno followed, authorities said.
The dad was rescued. A canoeist found the baby’s body two days later.