A 5-year-old Pennsylvania boy has died, days after he was choked by the family dog as they played in the snow, authorities said.
Little John Bruno was found face-down, with the pup pulling at a scarf around his neck, police said. His mother loosened the tightly wound scarf, carried him inside and called 911, Warrington Township police said.
He died Saturday at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, the coroner’s office reported. He had been heavily sedated since the accident, authorities said.
Officers initially thought the boy had suffered cardiac arrest while cavorting with the family’s 18-month-old pet.
“His smile and boundless energy was electric,” reads a GoFundMe page established to help pay the boy’s medical and funeral costs. “He loved Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, superheroes and being silly.
“Above all else, John loved his mom, dad and big sister.”
Police called the incident a tragic accident.