The December death of 9-year-old Ohio boy was caused by a massive cocaine overdose, authorities revealed this week.
The fourth-grader died of acute cocaine toxicity, according to the Mahoning County Coroner’s Office.
The child died the day after Christmas, but Youngstown police said they had to wait five months for toxicology results to come back before they could proceed with the case.
Marcus Lee Jr. was pronounced dead at Akron Children’s Hospital after being rushed by ambulance from his mother’s home.
“The test results were 'off the charts,' according to the Cuyahoga County Coroner’s Office,” Lt. Doug Bobovnyik told WFMJ-TV.
“It appears he ingested it orally," Bobovnyik said. "There was cocaine found in his stomach."
Investigators are now treating the child’s death as a possible homicide, police said.
The boy’s mother has retained an attorney and officers have not been able to question her since receiving the toxicology report, police said.