A baby girl is recovering in a Philadelphia hospital after cops say she was found with a hypodermic needle sticking out of her leg and suffering a drug overdose.
Police say the 9-month-old was found unresponsive in a bed alongside a man Wednesday night at a home in the Manayunk neighborhood.
The baby was revived using the opiate-reversing drug Narcan. Police said the syringe contained either heroin or a mix of heroin and other drugs.
Police arrested the man, 35-year-old Steven Welsh, and have charged him with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of a child, simple assault and reckless endangerment, according to Philly.com.
Authorities did not specify whether Welsh was related to the girl, but neighbors identified him to reporters as the girl's father.
The case remains under investigation by the Special Victims Unit.
As the opioid epidemic continues to hold regions across America in its grip, the children of addicts have become casualties in their own right, thanks to all-too-common accidental overdoses.
Before the end of April, a 4-year-old boy became one Wisconsin county's fourth child to die from an accidental opioid overdose in 2017.
Also in April, a 13-year-old Ohio boy died of a suspected heroin overdose after getting into a stash of drugs that allegedly belonged to his father.
According to national statistics, some 90 people in total die every day in America from an opioid overdose.