Texas Girl Hospitalized After Being Stung by 'Most Poisonous Caterpillar' in U.S., Mom Says
It's believed that the caterpillar fell from a tree overhead while Adrie was playing outside.
A 5-year-old Texas girl was hospitalized after being stung by a highly poisonous caterpillar known as an asp.
Lauren Chambers was devastated to get a call from her daughter Adrie's day care that she couldn't move her arm, she told told local station KXAS-TV.
"They said that she had been stung by the most poisonous caterpillar in the United States,” Chambers said.
It's believed that the caterpillar, which looks similar to a tuft of cotton, fell from a tree overhead while Adrie was playing outside.
Fortunately, employees quickly removed the spines from the sting, saving Adrie the worst of the caterpillar's symptoms.
“They said if that had not happened it could actually cause her whole body to go numb and start shutting down,” Chambers said.
Pain from the sting can be similar to that of a broken bone. Other symptoms include swelling, upset stomach, numbness, and, in some cases, difficulty breathing.
The discomfort usually diminishes within an hour or so, but there are a few things you can to treat the injury.
First, wash the affected area with soap and water. Then, use a piece of tape to remove the spines from the site. Finally, applying a cool compress to the affected area can help numb it. Baking soda or calamine lotion can help as well.
Trending on Inside Edition
Protests Erupt in Chicago After Release of Video Showing Cop Fatally Shooting 13-Year-Old Adam ToledoNews
Army Drill Sergeant Seen Shoving Black Man in Viral Video Is Charged With AssaultCrime
FedEx Warehouse Shooting in Indianapolis Kills 8, Injures Several OthersCrime
Possible Sighting in Mysterious Case of Jackson Alexander Miller, Man Who Vanished as a TeenNews
$75M Beachfront Property Taken From Black Owners in 1927 Set to Be Returned to DescendantsNews