Travis Reinking, Waffle House Shooting Suspect, Previously Arrested at White House

 The suspect in a shooting that killed four people at a Tennessee Waffle House was arrested last year for being in a restricted area near the White House, authorities said.

The suspect in a shooting that left four people dead at a Tennessee Waffle House over the weekend was arrested last year for being in a restricted area near the White House, authorities said. 

Travis Reinking, 29, was arrested on the grounds of the White House complex area by Secret Service officers on July 7, 2017, officials said.

Reinking, who was not believed to have been armed during the White House incident, said he wanted a meeting with President Trump and was arrested when he refused to leave, U.S. Secret Service Special Agent Todd Hudson told reporters Sunday.

He was released and later interviewed by the FBI. 

Four of Reinking’s weapons, including the AR-15 used in Sunday’s shooting, were seized by law enforcement and his license to possess firearms was revoked, according to reports.

The weapons were given to Reinking’s father, who police believe later gave them back to his son, according to reports.

Members of Reinking’s family had previously expressed concerns about his apparent delusional behavior, including his belief that Taylor Swift was stalking him, according to The New York Times.

Reinking “was delusional and believed the famous entertainer, Taylor Swift, was harassing him via stalking and hacking his phone,” a sheriff’s report from May 27, 2016 obtained by The Times said.

His delusions regarding Swift began in August 2014, the report said.

The report also noted that Reinking believed he had found Swift at a Dairy Queen and chased her before she disappeared.

“Travis is hostile towards police and does not recognize police authority,” the report said. 

On June 16, 2017, Reinking allegedly threatened someone with an AR-15 while wearing a woman’s pink housecoat, according to The Tennessean. Reinking then drove to a public pool, dove in and allegedly exposed himself to others. 

No one at the pool wanted to press charges, The Tennessean reported. One month later, Reinking was arrested at the White House. 

Metro Nashville Police are now searching for Reinking, who was last spotted behind his apartment complex early Sunday. 

Before being seen at his building, police said Reinking opened fire outside a Waffle House in Antioch about 3:25 a.m. He then went into the restaurant to continue his rampage, police said. 

Six people were shot before 29-year-old James Shaw, Jr., wrestled Reinking’s AR-15 rifle away from him, officials said. 

Three people died at the scene and a fourth person later died at the hospital.

The victims were identified as 29-year-old Taurean C. Sanderlin, 20-year-old Joe R. Perez, 21-year-old DeEbony Groves and 23-year-old Akilah DaSilva.

Two others were being treated for gunshot wounds at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, authorities said.

Reinking, who was wearing only a jacket during the shooting, fled the area on foot and is believed to have returned home to put on a pair of pants. 

As of Monday morning, there have been no credible sightings of Reinking, MNPD said on Twitter.


Naked Gunman Kills 4 at Tennessee Waffle House, Suspect Still at Large

Dad of Parkland Shooting Victim Makes Murals to Honor His Son and Other Victims

Female Shooter Dead, 3 Injured After Shooting at YouTube Headquarters in California: Police