What You Need to Know in the Event of a High-Rise Fire
Former New York City Fire Marshal Gene West has tips on what to do if a fire breaks out in a large apartment building.
High-rise fires like the one inside Trump Tower over the weekend can be terrifying, but one expert has tips about what you should do if you find yourself trapped in a similar blaze.
Inside Edition sought the help of former New York City Fire Marshal Gene West for tips on what to do.
"If you find yourself in an apartment that is on fire, clearly you have to get out of that apartment," he said. "If you are not in the apartment where the fire occurred, the fire department recommends that you stay in your apartment."
He recommends laying down a wet towel at the base of your door to keep the smoke out.
It's also important to alert the fire department that you are there.
“If there is smoke entering your apartment let the firemen know — they want to get to you first, they want to get you out of there,” West said.
The luxury apartments at Trump Tower do not have sprinklers because they were not required when the building went up in 1984.
The apartment where the fire broke out Saturday belonged to 67-year-old art dealer Todd Brassner, who lost his life in the blaze. His apartment was filled with $3 million worth of Andy Warhol artwork and vintage guitars.
President Trump's penthouse is six floors above.
The fire is believed to be accidental. The victim in the fire had been trying to sell his apartment for quite some time, but couldn't find a buyer, according to reports.
Trending on Inside Edition
Family of Woman Found Dead in Lumberton 4 Years Ago Takes Up Cause of all Missing and Murdered in the CityCrime
Australian Woman Convicted of Killing Her 4 Babies Is Innocent, Scientists SayCrime
Armed Man Demands Tiger Roaming Texas Neighborhood Be Brought Inside in Tense Confrontation Captured on CameraAnimals
The Good and the Bad That Can Come With Winning the LotteryOffbeat
Family Receives Outpouring of Support After Mom Is Killed and 4-Year-Old Is Hospitalized in Sledding AccidentNews