Experts Warn Against the Choking Hazards of Hot Dogs This July 4

We're all familiar with the dangers of grilling - but did you know that eating a hot dog can also be a hazard?

Back in 2013, 28-year-old teacher Maureen Oleskiewicz was watching a Chicago Cubs baseball game at Wrigley Field when she choked on a hot dog and passed out. She died a few days later when she was removed from life support.

Then in 2014, Walter Eagle Tail, 47, reportedly died after choking on a hot dog during a Fourth of July eating contest in Custer, South Dakota.

Read: Are Terrorists Plotting to Attack America on July 4?

"He probably just suffocated," Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler told the Rapid City Journal at the time. "It got lodged in his throat and (paramedics) couldn't get it out."

Experts say eating hot dogs can be even more dangerous for children.

"Hotdogs are the number one cause of food choking in children under three," ABC News chief medical correspondent Richard Besser told INSIDE EDITION's Megan Alexander.

"The end of a hotdog, it's about the size of a young child's main airway, so if they eat that , it can form a plug and block the airway."

Speaking to INSIDE EDITION, Joan Adler recounted how her four-year-old son Eric began choking on a hot dog in 2001.

"I just said, 'Oh please God, have him breathe'," she said. "They tried to save him and rush him to the hospital and that's where he was declared dead."

Alexander asked Dr. Besser what you should do if someone is choking on a hot dog.

Read: Summer of Lightning Claims Another Victim in Deadly Strike

"If they are able to talk to you and if they are able to cough, don't do anything," he said. "Call 911, someone can come and help clear their airway.

"If they can't talk or they give the universal sign of choking, then you want to lean them over, give them five hard back blows and then you want to reach behind them and give them five abdominal presses, the Heimlich maneuver."

To avoid choking while eating, he recommends parents either cut hot dogs the long way into smaller pieces or dice them up to make it easier for children to swallow.

Adler, who lost her son in 2001, added: "We're coming in to the summer season and I know a lot of people BBQ hotdogs, just be careful when you are serving the little ones."

Watch Below: Are Terrorists Plotting to Attack America on July 4?