17-Year-Old Dies After Being Stung by Box Jellyfish on Australian Beach  | Inside Edition

17-Year-Old Dies After Being Stung by Box Jellyfish on Australian Beach 

Box Jellyfish
Getty Images

The teenager in Australia was swimming at his local beach when he was stung by the venomous creature.

A 17-year-old boy died one week after being stung by a box jellyfish on a beach in Queensland, Australia, according to reports.

The teen, whose name is being withheld because he is a minor, was swimming in Patterson Point near Bamaga when he was stung on February 22, according to 7News. Police told CNN he was transported to a local hospital but died on March 1.

"The recent incident at Bamaga is a timely warning to take precautions when swimming in the sea in any northern waters," Marlow Coates, Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service northern director of medical services, said in a statement. "We are seeing sightings of both box jellyfish and jellyfish that cause Irukandji syndrome in our waters.”

Reports say this is the first fatality from a box jellyfish in 15 years.

Box jellyfish get their name because of their odd shape and have tentacles, which, in some of the 50 species of this particular jellyfish, contain a venom that is poison to humans, National Ocean Service said.

The Australian box jellyfish, Chironex fleckeri, is considered to be the most venomous marine animal, National Ocean Service said.

A Chironex sting is "immediately and excruciatingly painful" and "should be considered life-threatening," according to authorities.

Box jellyfish found in Australia can grow to one foot in diameter and have tentacles that extend to 50 feet, according to CNN.

RELATED STORIES