2-Year-Old Boy Dies After Contracting E. Coli Possibly Linked to Petting Zoo
The boy was among four documented cases of children ages 2 to 13 picking up the bacteria at the San Diego County Fair.
The boy was among four documented cases of children ages 2 to 13 picking up the bacteria at the fair, the county said in a statement Friday. The exposure was "linked to contact with animals," possibly at the fair's petting zoo, according to the statement.
The other three children infected were not hospitalized, the county said, and have recovered. The boy died from complications of the disease on June 24.
"Our sympathies go out to the family of the child that died from this illness," said county public health officer Wilma J. Wooten. "While most people recover from this illness without complications, 5 to 10 percent of people diagnosed with STEC [Shinga toxin-producing E. coli] develop the life-threatening kidney infection."
Four cases of E.coli bacteria linked to San Diego County Fair. pic.twitter.com/0zRZTNgU5lJune 29, 2019
Officials urged anyone potentially showing symptoms, which include stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting, to contact a doctor.
They also recommended making sure to wash your hands after any contact with animals.
Trending on Inside Edition
Georgia High School Senior Accidentally Shot Dead During Target Practice With Friends, Police SayNews
How a 20-Year-Old Is Using TikTok to Change How We Talk About AutismEntertainment
8-Foot Python Pops Out of Toilet While Unsuspecting Man is Sitting on ItOffbeat
Georgia Man Who Was Given 90,000 Oily Pennies as Final Paycheck Gets Help Cashing in Wheelbarrow of ChangeNews
Dog Narrowly Escapes Burning House in Daring Rescue Caught on CameraAnimals