2-Year-Old Boy Dies After Contracting E. Coli Possibly Linked to Petting Zoo
The boy was among four documented cases of children ages 2 to 13 picking up the bacteria at the San Diego County Fair.
The boy was among four documented cases of children ages 2 to 13 picking up the bacteria at the fair, the county said in a statement Friday. The exposure was "linked to contact with animals," possibly at the fair's petting zoo, according to the statement.
The other three children infected were not hospitalized, the county said, and have recovered. The boy died from complications of the disease on June 24.
"Our sympathies go out to the family of the child that died from this illness," said county public health officer Wilma J. Wooten. "While most people recover from this illness without complications, 5 to 10 percent of people diagnosed with STEC [Shinga toxin-producing E. coli] develop the life-threatening kidney infection."
Officials urged anyone potentially showing symptoms, which include stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting, to contact a doctor.
They also recommended making sure to wash your hands after any contact with animals.
Trending on Inside Edition
Paramedics Charged With Murder of Earl Moore, Black Man Killed During Mental Health Episode, Appear in CourtCrime
Idaho Murder Victim Sustained 'Sharp-Force Injuries,' Scene Had 'Substantial Amount of Blood:' PoliceCrime
New Mystery Surrounds Sudden Death of California Public Defender on Wedding Anniversary Trip at Mexican ResortCrime
Murder Suspect Gets Retrial After Letter From Late Wife Warning He Might Hurt Her Is Deemed InadmissibleCrime
Man Lost at Sea Rescued by Colombian Navy After 24 Days, Lived Off Ketchup, Seasoning, and SoupHuman Interest
Missing Wife of Murder Suspect Brian Walshe Vouched for Husband in Letter to Judge, Helping Him Avoid PrisonCrime