How This Girl Got a Flesh-Eating Bacteria on Vacation in Florida

Playing

A 12-year-old from Indiana is learning how to walk again after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria while on vacation in Florida. 

Kylei Parker was enjoying a recent family vacation in the Sunshine State. Not paying much attention to the scrape she got on her toe while skateboarding, she waded into the water, where a deadly bacteria passed through that open cut.

By the time she returned to Indiana days later, she had trouble walking and she felt pressure in her leg.

“I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle,” she told Inside Edition. 

Then her calf began to swell and she said “it hurt enough to where I was in tears.” 

“She was in excruciating pain,” her mother, Michelle, added. 

Her temperature hit 104.5 degrees and she was rushed to the hospital. It became a race against time to save her life.

“They told me if I waited a few more hours or even a day longer she wouldn't be here,” her mom said. 

The tween was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria. Surgeons were able to cut out the bacteria and save her leg and her life.

Kylei is learning to walk all over again. Her mom gives her daily antibiotics. 

The young girl is warning others to stay out of the water this summer if they have open wounds.

“I’m very lucky to be alive,” she said. 

RELATED STORIES

Woman Warns of Potential Dangers of Eating Raw Oysters After Wife Died of Deadly Bacteria

The Dangerous Bacteria That May Be Lurking in Your Gym Bag

Shark Attacks Another Teen at North Carolina Beach