A 14-year-old boy was arrested for his alleged role in the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl in Chicago that was livestreamed on social media, officials said.
The girl is believed to have been lured to a home in the 10th District by one of her attackers on March 19, when police said the sexual assault took place.
“Then from there, she was not allowed to leave and didn’t consent to what occurred,” Area Central Commander Brendan Deenihan said at a press conference Sunday.
The vicious attack was apparently broadcast on Facebook Live and screen shots of the assault made their way to the victim’s mother, who approached Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson at an unrelated press conference for help.
The following day, police found the young girl, who was extremely traumatized.
"No woman should ever be treated the way this young girl was," said Johnson, who noted he was very upset by what he watched. "The young men responsible — they should be ashamed of themselves. They humiliated themselves; they humiliated their families and now they’re going to be held accountable for what they did."
Police on Saturday charged a 14-year-old boy, whose name was not released because of his age, with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing of child pornography, and dissemination of child pornography, authorities said.
Officials said they plan to make additional arrests, noting the attack involved five or six males, and the investigation is ongoing.
The girl has been reunited with her loved ones, but has been subjected to online bullying and harassment since the incident, Deenihan said.
"It’s causing a lot more trauma," he said, noting the victim had already endured unimaginable shock from the attack.
The Chicago Police Department is working with the state attorney’s office and the city to ensure the girl’s safety and well-being, authorities said.
“She’s having a very, very difficult time even talking about it... Working with this victim at this time, is very, very slow,” Deenihan continued. "She’s going to need help for a long time after this."
The video of the attack, which has been removed from Facebook, received dozens of views but no one called police, Johnson said.
"We’ve seen a couple acts in this city now in the last few months involving social media and it just disgusts me that people would look at those videos and not pick up the phone and dial 911," he said. "So it makes you wonder where are we going, what are we doing as a society that people would actually look at those crimes taking place and not pick up the phone and dial 911."