"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett is "angered and devastated" by reports that Chicago police are now investigating allegations he paid two brothers to stage an attack on him last month.
"He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying,” his attorneys Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson said in a statement.
Cops now say they want a follow-up interview with Smollett about what they've been told by the two brothers identified as 25-year-old Abel Osundairo and his brother Ola Osundairo, 27.
A spokesperson for Smollett says that "there are no plans to meet with the Chicago police today."
The brothers have appeared as extras on the hit series with Smollett. Police say the brothers are the shadowy figures caught on surveillance cameras the night Smollett says he was attacked. They were released from custody Friday night reportedly agreeing to cooperate.
Chicago TV station WBBM reported that a police source told them it's believed Smollett rehearsed the attack with the two brothers and paid them $3,500 plus an additional $500 when they returned from a trip to Nigeria.
Smollett has been an actor since he was a kid and starred in the 1992 movie "The Mighty Ducks.” He's one of six children, and joined his brothers and sisters on the Food Network show "Smollett Eats.”