Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Bid for Independence Reportedly Squashed by Queen

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry walk arm in arm at Buckingham Palace.
Getty Images

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's hopes for working outside of the palace's watchful eye has reportedly been royally squashed.

It was previously announced that the duke and duchess of Sussex would be getting their own court apart from the one that also represents Prince William and Kate Middleton, which is based in Kensington Palace, their shared residence. And now, Britain's The Sunday Times reported that Meghan and Harry had suggested that this new court be independent from the royal family.

But grandmom Queen Elizabeth and dad Prince Charles apparently nixed the idea.

“They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told ‘no’,” a royal source told The Times. “They can’t just go off and do their own thing.”

The couple reportedly had plans to create a worldwide "Sussex brand" of philanthropy and humanitarianism. And Meghan also wanted to continue growing her role as an activist. 

Instead, Meghan and Harry's official team of new aides and staff members will be based inside Buckingham Palace, the official residence of the Queen.

Meghan and Harry have been separating themselves for some time after tying the knot. It was announced in November that they would move out of the Kensington Palace complex to Frogmore Cottage at Windsor Castle in the spring, when Meghan is due to give birth.

Meghan and Harry will be getting their new court this spring to reportedly "reflect their increasingly different responsibilities."

RELATED STORIES

George Clooney Explains Why He Defended Meghan Markle Against Press

Meghan Markle Winds Down Royal Duties as She Prepares to Give Birth

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Indulge in Maple Syrup on Commonwealth Day