School Cook Fired After Serving Students Kangaroo Meat Chili
He argues that it's a lean, healthy meat.
A Nebraska school cook has been fired after outrage he sparked by serving students an exotic meat.
Kangaroo, to be exact. And, while Kevin Frei contends he had nothing but the kids' well-being in mind, the parents of the Potter-Dix school district were apparently horrified enough to call for his resignation.
In a letter, the school district wrote Wednesday that Frei mixed the kangaroo meat with beef in a chili he served Oct. 10, USA Today reports.
According to superintendent Mike Williams, Frei believed the meat--which has been touted for its leanness and flavors--would give the chili a nutritional boost.
While Williams assured parents that the meat was safe and subject to proper government standards, he believes the choice was not Frei's to make.
"On behalf of Potter-Dix Public Schools, I apologize for the anxiety and any harm that this has caused individual students and/or families. We will make sure that something like this never occurs again," Williams wrote.
Trending on Inside Edition
Mom of 2-Year-Old Attacked by Coyote in Huntington Beach Plans to Sue City Over Toddler's InjuriesAnimals
Woman Paralyzed by Classmate in 1997 Paducah School Shooting Speaks Out as Convicted Gunman Seeks ParoleCrime
Urn Containing Human Remains Found on South Carolina Shore, an Increasing Problem for the Coroners OfficeHuman Interest
Missing Georgia Mother Found Dead in the Woods Naked and With Charring on her StomachCrime
Route 91 Harvest Festival Massacre Survivor Is Still on the Road to Recovery 5 Years After Being Shot 3 TimesINSIDE EDITION InDepth