Texas Shark Bite Victim Gets Infected With Flesh-Eating Bacteria, Is Back in Hospital
Blaine Shelton was swimming at a Texas beach when he was attacked by a shark.
A Texas man is back in the hospital after his shark bite wound became infected with flesh-eating bacteria.
Blaine Shelton said he was swimming alone at Crystal Beach when he was bitten by a shark about 200 yards from the shore earlier this month.
"I already saw the fin, and I knew it wasn't a porpoise," he told KHOU-TV on Aug. 10. "So I turned around to get out of there, and that's when he grabbed me by the leg."
He was able to make it to shore, with his thigh profusely bleeding. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was treated and sent home.
One week later, he was in such pain he was having trouble walking. He was diagnosed with flesh-eating bacteria.
"I'd heard there was bacteria in the water, I just never treated it serious. But to tell you the truth, if you've got a scratch on your arm or your leg, I wouldn't get in that water,” Shelton said. “And if you do, bring some alcohol with you to clean it the second you get out. It's nothing to play with."
Shelton said he has already lost some tissue around the wound.
The ravaging bacteria can be deadly or cause limbs to be amputated.
"Thank God they're helping me with the pain because the other day, when I came in, I could hardly walk in there."
The 42-year-old construction worker said his medical bills will likely total more than $100,000. He has established a GoFundMe account to help with those expenses.
Trending on Inside Edition
Human Remains Found in Florida Reserve Identified as Brian Laundrie, FBI SaysNews
1967 Grateful Dead Shirt Sells for $17,640 at AuctionEntertainment
Bone Found in Car of Missing Ohio Mom Who Vanished With Her 2 Children in 2002Crime
Inside the Craze for 'Skelly,' a 12-Foot Halloween Skeleton From Home Depot That's a Graveyard SmashOffbeat
Marine Biologists Discover Enormous Sunfish Caught in Fishing Net in the Mediterranean SeaOffbeat