True Crime Writer's Interviews With Famous Serial Killers Now in Doubt
A British true crime author's claims about interviewing notorious serial killers are being disputed.
A prominent British true crime writer is being accused of fabricating interviews with infamous serial killers including Peter Sutcliffe and Ted Bundy.
Paul Harrison, who has written more than 33 books, has been called "the master of the true crime genre." But his latest book, "Mind Games," has been pulled from shelves by publisher Urbane Publications after questions arose about the author's claims.
Harrison says he is a former police officer in Great Britain and worked with the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit at Quantico, Virginia, in 1982.
During public speaking engagements and in interviews, Harrison claimed to have interviewed Sutcliffe, the so-called "Yorkshire Ripper," who was convicted of killing 13 women. He also said he had been present during the last day of Reggie Kray's life. Twins Reggie and Ronnie Kray were two of Britain's most notorious gangsters.
Sutcliffe, upon hearing about Harrison's claims, wrote a letter obtained by Britain's The Sun saying Harrison "is an absolute charlatan, a conman. He never corresponded with me, nor did he ever visit me," the paper reported.
His claims about interviewing American killers Jeffrey Dahmer and Bundy are also false, the paper said, citing interviews done with seven ex-FBI agents who were at Quantico during the time Harrison claimed to be there. The agents said they had never heard of him, The Sun reported.
Harrison's publisher issued a statement saying, “Like everyone who worked with Paul Harrison, the attendees to his talks and the readers of his books, we are very concerned by these revelations and are currently seeking clarification before deciding what further action to take. However, with immediate effect we will be withdrawing 'Mind Games' from sale and endeavoring to remove all stock and details from every relevant retail channel."
The author has apparently removed all of his social media accounts. In a Facebook post that has since been deleted, Harrison said, "This monster is no longer mine, nor is it what I wanted it to be. I saw it as a tool to give victims a voice, everywhere, but because I’m weak and vulnerable and utterly useless at decision making I was introduced into sensationalizing events by promoters who often sent out misleading blurb.
"Something I had to live up to. I’ve decided to call it a day for now. No more shows or interaction on social media … It seems I’ve let everyone down, I’m sorry for that,” The Guardian reported.
Trending on Inside Edition
Tourists May Have Caught Gabby Petito's Van on Video as They Drove Through Wyoming's Grand Teton National ParkCrime
Video Shows Pandemonium as Storm Knocks Down Tent, Injuring Guests at Atlanta WeddingNews
Mystery as 4 Friends Found Shot to Death in Wisconsin Cornfield, Police Have Scant Leads and No MotiveCrime
Inside Edition Investigates if NYC Restaurants Are Checking if Indoor Diners Are Vaccinated as Per New RuleInvestigative
Dog the Bounty Hunter’s Daughters Say They Were Cut Out of Their Dad's Life After Mom's DeathEntertainment
Gabby Petito in Tears After Aug. 12 Fight With Boyfriend in Utah, Bodycam Video ShowsCrime