Michael Brown's Friend Shot by Cops Amid Protests on 1-Year Anniversary of Ferguson Shooting

Tyrone Harris Jr., 18, allegedly opened fire on police officers on Sunday night and was wounded when they fired back.

A teenager who allegedly opened fire on cops on the one-year anniversary of the Ferguson shooting is in critical condition after officers returned fire and struck him.

Eighteen-year-old Tyrone Harris Jr., a friend of Michael Brown's, was wounded after the exchange of fire during protests in Ferguson, Missouri on Sunday night, St. Louis County's police chief said.

The demonstration was held to mark one year since Brown was shot dead by a white Ferguson police officer. His death sparked the national "Black Lives Matter" movement.

Chief Jon Belmar said at a news conference that officers had been tracking Harris, who they believed was armed, around 11.15pm on Sunday.

Read: One Year After Ferguson, Darren Wilson Speaks, Says He Has Applied for Other Police Jobs

According to police, Harris approached the officers, who were in an unmarked police van, and opened fire. The cops returned fire and then chased him, police said. After Harris allegedly fired again, he was struck by a bullet and fell, Belmar said.

Below, a boy looks on as the man is seen on the ground.

He was taken to a hospital, where he is in critical condition. Police say the weapon he used had been stolen.

On Monday, St. Louis County prosecutors said in a statement that Harris had been charged with four counts, including "assault on law enforcement" and shooting at a motor vehicle.

Tyrone Harris Sr. identified the injuried man as his son and said he had been friends with Michael Brown.

"We think there's a lot more to this than what's being said," he said. 

The officers were not wearing body cameras at the time of the incident, police said.

None of them were seriously injured. All four have been put on standard administrative leave, Belmar said.

Read: Ferguson Fallout: Cops And Citizens Videotaping Each Other

There were other shootings on Sunday evening and into Monday morning as protests continued, police said. The protests have been held over three days and until Sunday, they had been peaceful and no arrests had been made. For the first time on Sunday, officers also wore riot gear.

Other peaceful events were held to mark the anniversary on Sunday.

Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr., led a march through town from the site where Brown was fatally shot.

A few hundred people later turned out at Greater St. Mark Family Church for a service to remember the slain teen.

The officer who shot Brown, Darren Wilson, said he acted in self-defense and a grand jury decided not to indict him. The U.S. Department of Justice cleared Wilson of any civil rights violations in the shooting finding that the evidence supported his claim of self-defense. He resigned in November.

Watch Below: Police Dash Cam Footage of Walter Scott Shooting Released