Man Shoots Wife Dead in Fight Over Who Left On the Coffee Pot: Cops

An Illinois man allegedly confessed to police that his wife nagged him about a coffee pot before he killed her.

An Illinois man is being charged with murder after he allegedly shot his wife dead following an argument about a burnt coffee pot.

Police in the town of Barrington were called to the home of Larry Lotz, 65, early Friday following a 911 call in which Lotz reportedly confessed to shooting his wife, Karen Lotz.

Mrs. Lotz, 59, was discovered with critical injuries and rushed to an area hospital, where she would later die, reports the Chicago Daily Herald.

Stephen Scheller of the Lake County state's attorney's office said Larry Lotz told police in a taped interview that the argument started when his wife began to "nag him about leaving the coffee maker on."

Read: Family of 12-Year-Old Girl Who Was Fatally Shot by Constable Blames Father For Her Death

"He got angry with her. He went in the kitchen and unplugged the coffee maker and went to his office above the garage," Scheller read from police documents.

Mrs. Lotz reportedly followed her husband to the office, where she opened the door with a key. That's when police say Mr. Lotz shot at her four times with a .45 caliber pistol.

"He called his son first," Scheller told the Daily Herald, "saying he had shot his mom. His son said, 'Call 911.' When he called 911, he stated, in his words, quote, 'I just shot my wife. I just shot my wife. Please, send an ambulance.'"

Mrs. Lotz was struck by three bullets, including one in the head.

Karen Lotz worked at Harper College for nearly 20 years and was remembered by registrar  Sue Skora as passionate about education.

“She was just as passionate about helping others advance and develop as she was interested in furthering her own education," Skora said in a released statement.

Read: Cop Gives Spine-Tingling National Anthem Performance After Singer Gets Stuck in Traffic

Matthew Lotz, 33-year-old son of Karen and Larry, told the Chicago Tribune this would have been the first time he'd heard of any violence at his parents' home.

"Both our parents were very caring and did everything they possibly could for us," Matthew Lotz said. "They were always willing to go without to make sure we had something."

Lotz continued: "We love them very much...I don't know anything about (what happened with) my father, but no matter what, I love him."

Mr. Lotz was held on a first degree murder charge after a circuit court judge set his bail at $3 million.

Watch Below: 16-Year-Old Girl Shot By Men Trying to Steal Her Hoverboard, Police Say