Woman Kidnapped 3-Day-Old Baby From Hospital Room: Cops

Anquinisha Cummings, 24, turned herself in to police in Monroe, Louisiana after allegedly stealing a newborn.

A Louisiana woman has turned herself in after allegedly stealing a newborn baby from a mother's hospital room.

Police in Monroe say Anquinisha Cummings entered the St. Francis Hospital room of a mother of a 3-day-old boy on Saturday evening.

The 24-year-old allegedly told the mom she was sent there by a mutual friend with a baby bag.

But, according to police, Cummings was there to take something, not to give.

Read: Parents Who Forced Emaciated 6-Year-Old Boy to Live On Hot Dog Smoothies Sentenced to 20 Years

"While Cummings was in the room, the two talked for a little while," police said in a statement. "The mother got up to use the bathroom; during this time the child was in the bassinet. 

"When the mother exited the bathroom Cummings and her newborn child were gone."

Hospital security was notified and eventually police determined they were in search of Cummings, who'd been treated at the hospital earlier that day.

According to the statement, investigators narrowed their search to Cummings after a hospital employee reportedly recalled chatting with her about pregnancy difficulties.

Investigators were able to track down Cummings' mother. Then, soon after, an "unknown female" handed the baby over to Cummings' mother, according to police.

Read: After Toddler is Found Dead, Investigators Will Probe Her Family Members' Social Media Accounts

The boy was returned to his mother in good health and unharmed.

Video footage retrieved from the hospital revealed Cummings leaving with the child, according to a police statement.

A warrant for one count of aggravated kidnapping of a child was issued for Cummings, who surrendered herself to the Monroe Police department on Sunday.

She was arrested and booked into the Ouachita Parish Correctional Center with no bond.

In a statement to the media, St. Francis Medical Center said "appropriate security measures were in place at the time of the incident. Additionally, the hospital was locked down immediately following the situation.

"We have increased our 24/7 security presence in the hospital and are reviewing all aspects of this incident and researching additional national safety/security best practices."

Watch: Mom-To-Be Believes Jesus on Cross Spotted on Sonogram Has Deeper Meaning