Toddler Found in Car Parked Outside Supermarket With His Dead Father

At the Meijer supermarket, first responders at the scene attempted to administer CPR to Levi Newcomb, but were unsuccessful in reviving him.

A Michigan man has been found dead in his car at a grocery store parking lot with his toddler son in the back seat.

The body of Levi Ryan Newcomb, 29, was found at about 1 a.m. Monday after an Allegan County sheriff’s deputy at a gas station was told about a toddler and an unconscious man in a car up the road.

Read: 4th Case of ODing Parents With Kid Nearby Is Latest Example of Heroin Plight Gripping America

At the Meijer supermarket in Plainwell, the deputy and other first responders at the scene attempted to administer CPR to Newcomb, but were unsuccessful in reviving him, authorities said.

Allegan County Sheriff Frank Baker said on Twitter Monday night that the death is considered "suspicious."

Police have not yet revealed a cause of death but said in a news release that he "has a history of drug abuse, as well as health issues, that may have played part in his death."

His timeline of drug trouble stretches back more than a decade.

In a 2014 news story about overcoming drug addiction, Newcomb told Fox 17 he became hooked on meth when he was just 15 years old.

Read: Mom Pictured Holding Syringe While Allegedly Overdosing With Infant Son in Car: Cops

In 2009, he suffered burns to his face and torso when a trailer he was living in exploded. In the rubble, police found evidence that a meth lab had been operating in the home, according to reports.

Two years later, he was arrested for meth possession. Newcomb faced four years in prison, but wound up receiving three years of probation. In addition, a judge ordered him to stay away from the drug and attend Van Buren County’s "Drug Treatment Court Program."

He graduated from the program in 2014.

Results of an autopsy and toxicology test are not yet available. The toddler was placed in the care of his mother.

Watch: Hear the 911 Call From Scared 8-Year-Old Boy After Dad Nearly Overdosed in Car