6-Year-Old Competitive Dancer Has Leg Amputated Due to Strep Throat
A flesh-eating bacteria got into her bloodstream.
The trouble started for Tessa Puma when she came down with strep throat in March, according to a family friend. She took antibiotics and was said to have recovered, but last week the little girl then exhibited flu symptoms and had a bad infection in her leg.
Doctors told the family that the strep bacteria traveled into Tessa’s blood stream.
"Her leg started to swell and so her parents took her back to the hospital. She had a flesh-eating bacteria and it was life or death," said Stacey Kopec, a dance teacher at Center Stage Studio in Northfield where Tessa dances.
Doctors did emergency surgery on Saturday and amputated her leg.
"Tomorrow morning they are going back in and making sure there is no more infection," Kopec said Tuesday.
Tessa has been dancing since age 3 and was even recruited to be a part of Center Stage Studio’s competitive team because of her talents.
"She’s one of the youngest on our team," Kopec said. "Dance has been her life. It’s been devastating to her whole team obviously. She’s so bubbly and incredible just an amazing kid. Just keep our tiny dancer in your prayers."
Trending on Inside Edition
The Final Victim of Surfside Condo Collapse Has Been Pulled From the RubbleNews
Retired Corrections Officer Dies in Skydiving Accident in New YorkHuman Interest
Brave Yorkie Takes on Wild Coyote, Stopping It From Attacking 10-Year-Old OwnerAnimals
Baby Saved by Yonkers Police After Getting Pinned Under Car in CrashHuman Interest
Texas Man Sets Family House on Fire With Mother and Brother Inside Because They Didn't Follow Bible: AffidavitCrime