Teen Collapses and Dies After Drinking Soda, Coffee and Energy Drink
He died of an irregular heartbeat.
A South Carolina 16-year-old died of a caffeine overdose after drinking coffee, soda and an energy drink within a two-hour period, according to authorities.
Davis Allen Cripe reportedly collapsed in his high school classroom and died last month after the abundance of caffeine in his system caused a heart arrhythmia.
“On this particular day within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald's and also some type of energy drink," Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said in a press conference. “We lost Davis from a totally legal substance. These drinks can be very dangerous."
Watts also said there was no evidence of an undiagnosed heart condition.
The recommended dosage of caffeine per day is 400 mg. Symptoms of a caffeine overdose can include dizziness and increased thirst, according to medical professionals. Large amounts of caffeine can be deadly.
Cripe’s dad, Sean, urged other parents during the press conference to speak with their kids about the dangers of energy drinks.
"It wasn't a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink," he said. "Parents, please talk to your kids about these energy drinks. And teenagers and students, please stop buying them."
Trending on Inside Edition
Cadaver Dogs Brought in During Search for Brian Laundrie in Florida Swamp as Reward Reaches $200KCrime
Woman Discovers More Than 90 Snakes Were Living Underneath Her California HomeAnimals
Alex Murdaugh Is a Person of Interest in Wife and Son’s Murder, His Lawyer SaysCrime
Banksy’s Famous 'Love is in the Bin' Shredded Painting Sells for an Astounding $25.4 Million at AuctionOffbeat
Specialists Treat Tiny Birds Rescued From Recent Southern California Oil SpillAnimals