Officer Who Shot Philando Castile Leaves Department: 'Most Thoughtful Way to Move Forward'
Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted three weeks ago in the fatal shooting of motorist Philando Castile.
Jeronimo Yanez, the cop who killed Philando Castile during a Minnesota traffic stop as the man's girlfriend live-streamed it on Facebook, has left the St. Anthony Police Department, the city announced late Monday.
“In order to serve the public interest and quickly assure the public that Officer Yanez will not continue as a St. Anthony police officer, the city has entered into a separation agreement that ends all employment rights,” said a statement posted to the city’s website.
Read: Bystander Captured Moment Cops Gave Philando Castile CPR After He Was Shot in Car
Yanez’s departure “brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy,” the statement said.
On June 16, a jury acquitted Yanez of all charges in the shooting, including second-degree manslaughter. The verdict was denounced by the school cafeteria worker’s family.
“My son loved this city, and this city killed my son,” his mother, Valerie Castile, said outside court. “And a murderer gets away. Are you kidding me right now?
“The system in this country continues to fail black people and will continue to fail us,” she said.
His death sparked nationwide protests. He was stopped last year for a broken taillight. In the car were his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her 4-year-old daughter.
Castile told the officer he was licensed to carry a gun and there was a weapon in the car.
Read: Woman Records Facebook Vdeo After Boyfriend Is Fatally Shot By Cops: 'Don't Tell Me He's Dead!'
Reynolds said her boyfriend was reaching for his license and registration when Yanez opened fire, pumping several rounds into Castile.
Yanez testified he feared for his life and thought Castile was pulling out a weapon.
Under the separation agreement, Yanez will receive a taxable lump sum payment of $48,500 plus payment for up to 600 hours of accrued personal leave. The document did say how much time Yanez has accrued, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Yanez, in signing the agreement, gave up all rights to sue or file claims against the city over Castile’s death.
Watch: Heartbreaking Video Shows 4-Year-old Scared After Seeing Philando Castile Shot
Trending on Inside Edition
Atlanta Man Completes Epic Feat by Riding Every Operable Ride at all 12 Disney Parks in Less Than 2 WeeksEntertainment
Aiden Fucci Gets Life in Prison for Killing of Tristyn Bailey, Florida Cheerleader Stabbed 114 TimesCrime
Taylor Schabusiness, Suspect in Meth-Fueled Murder Who Attacked Attorney in Court, Fit to Stand Trial in JulyCrime
Teacher Resigns After Allegedly Taping 11-Year-Old Boy's Mouth ShutNews
Search for US Navy Sailor Who Vanished After St. Patrick's Day Ends After Officials 'Exhaust All Efforts'News
Beloved New York School Bus Driver Crochets Thousands of Hats for Students Since Picking Up Hobby 18 Years AgoHuman Interest