5-Year-Old California Girl's Skull Was Fractured After Being Hit by Bottle Thrown From Truck

Police are looking for the person who threw a glass bottle from a moving vehicle.
Police are seeking the public's help in finding the person who threw a bottle from a moving vehicle.GoFundMe

The child was walking home from school when she was hit by a flying bottle, police said.

A little California girl who was on life support with a fractured skull was allowed to go home Monday after being hit by a glass bottle thrown from a moving SUV, police said.

Five-year-old Karla Zosoyas was walking home from school with her older brother and sister when someone chucked a bottle that hit her in the head and neck, according to authorities. The child also suffered a broken collar bone and internal bleeding in her skull. She was intubated and surgeons drained fluid from the swelling brain, authorities said.

Investigators are asking for the public's help in finding the person who threw the bottle from a dark silver or gray full-sized SUV on Lincoln Avenue in Corona.

The incident occurred Friday afternoon. 

"She's very young, she doesn't know what's happening," her anguished sister, Maria, told KCBS-TV.

Maria said she and her brother shouted at the SUV driver to stop, but the vehicle kept going. 

"I saw my little sister on the ground and I thought my sister just fell," said her brother, Vabian Herrera. "But then when I went to pick her up, I noticed she started bleeding from her head. So I grabbed her head and like — putting pressure so no blood would come out."

Karla only seemed a little dazed until she saw her own blood. "That's when she started to panic. And she looked like she was going to faint," Maria said.

A good Samaritan pulled over and helped the children clean up Karla's blood and call 911. He stayed with them until help came and took photos of Karla's injuries for police.

"He waited with us the whole time," Maria said. 

By Sunday, Karla was breathing on her own and feeling almost like her old self. The next day, she was cleared by doctors to go home. 

"It's not right to do that to some little girl," her big brother said. 

A GoFundMe page has been established to help with medical bills.