7-Year-Old Arizona Girl Fighting for Her Life After Eating Tainted Romaine Lettuce
The child's kidneys stopped functioning and a lung filled with fluid.
A little girl in Arizona is extremely ill and battling to stay alive after contracting the E.coli virus, her mother says.
Makayla Jarboe, age 7, is on a ventilator after a lung filled with fluid. Her kidneys have stopped functioning and she is completely reliant on a dialysis machine to clean her blood. Doctors have sedated her, so she's unable to talk.
Her mother, Destiny Jarboe, wants all mothers to heed a nationwide warning against eating romaine lettuce believed to be tainted by the devastating virus.
"I just don't want any other parent to have to go through this. You know, like I didn't realize how serious it was. No one has ever told me that E. coli is life-threatening."
Health officials have warned against eating the leafy, dark green lettuce. There have been 84 E.coli cases thus far. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the highest number is in Pennsylvania.
The lettuce is believed to have been grown in Arizona.
Destiny thinks her daughter most likely picked it up from a salad she ate when the family dined out. She took Makayla to an emergency room on April 16 because the child had a terrible bout of diarrhea. They came home the next morning, only to return hours later because the girl developed severe stomach pains.
"When they told me E.coli, my first thing was, 'Oh, she'll just, you know, have an upset stomach for a few days and she'll be OK.' I never knew E.coli could cause this."
She urged parents to pay close attention to what their children eat.
"Don't ignore the signs if they're having any sickness, don't ignore," she warns. "Bring them right in. It's not worth it."
Trending on Inside Edition
Some Fear High School Baseball Star Who Vanished After Going Overboard on Sunset Cruise Was Attacked by SharkHuman Interest
Former Sheriff's Deputy Sentenced for Killing 'Extramarital' Girlfriend Who Insulted 'Size of His Manhood': DACrime
New Mom Survives After Contracting Rare Flesh-Eating Bacteria Days After Giving BirthHealth
After Getting Shot in the Head for Ringing Wrong Doorbell, Ralph Yarl Walks for Brain Injury AwarenessNews