Baby Dies of 'Severe Injuries' After Being Left Alone With 11-Year-Old Girl: Cops

Paxton Davis was taken off life support on Feb. 28.

According to Maryland police, the girl "admitted to assaulting the baby causing the fatal injuries."

A Maryland 11-year-old girl has been charged with child abuse after a baby boy she was caring for died from injuries he sustained while in her care

The girl was left with the 1-year-old, identified as Paxton Davis, for a "very brief" time while the girl's mother went out to run an errand on the morning of Feb. 24, according to the Prince George’s County Police Department. The two children were not related, police said

When the mother came home, she called 911 and the baby was taken to a local hospital with "severe injuries to his upper body," according to police. Paxton was treated for several days before being taken off life support last Thursday. 

His mother Tanya Davis told WRC-TV about the emotional moment she and Paxton's other mom, Shonte Jennings, decided to let their baby go. 

“I got in the room for a second by myself," Davis said, "and I talked to him and I said, 'Baby, you don’t have to fight no more.'"

The mothers said that they were initially told Paxton had fallen, but police later determined it was clear the injuries were "not consistent with the normal play of a 1-year-old," said Maj. Brian Reilly of the Prince George’s County Police Department.

According to police, the girl "admitted to assaulting the baby causing the fatal injuries."

Jennings said she had always suspected there was more to the story. "A cracked skull and you fell off a bed? It didn't line up," she said. 

As for Davis, she said feels betrayed by the girl's mother, who had watched Paxton previously.

"I texted her, the mother, and she made it seem like she was there with my baby the whole time," a tearful Davis said. 

Paxton had just turned 1 on Feb. 8. 

The girl is not being identified because of her age. She remains in custody at a juvenile detention facility and could face additional charges. 

Police said they have not established a motive yet. “I don’t know what motive there would be in a situation like this, for an 11-year-old to intentionally inflict injuries on a 1-year-old,” Reilly added. 

A GoFundMe page has been created to raise money for Paxton's memorial. You can donate here

The investigation is ongoing.