The young boy who was thrown from a Mall of America balcony is "alert and conscious" and no longer in critical condition, his family says.
The family of 5-year-old Landen Hoffmann posted an update Friday to the GoFundMe page that had been set up to support his medical costs. In the statement, the family said they hope to have Landen return home by June. They are now turning their attention to remaining surgeries, healing and rehabilitation.
"The road to recovery remains long, but with God and you, we are assured to make it through," the statement read.
Earlier this week, the family's pastor said the boy showed no signs of brain damage. While he did break some bones in the fall, he didn't have any spinal cord injuries or nerve damage, the pastor said.
Landen was grabbed and tossed 40 feet from the mall balcony while he was standing with his mother and her friend outside of a restaurant earlier this month.
The man accused of throwing Landen allegedly later told police he was “looking for someone to kill” after he’d been rejected by multiple women over the years at the mall, according to reports.
The suspect has been charged with attempted premeditated first-degree murder.
The GoFundMe page set up for Landen's family has raised over $1 million.