Dancing FBI Agent Charged With Assault After Gun Goes Off During Backflip

Chase Bishop, 29, unintentionally shot a fellow reveler after pulling off some intense dance moves while armed.

The FBI agent who police say accidentally shot someone when his extreme dance moves caused his gun to drop to the floor has been charged with assault.

Authorities say Chase Bishop, 29, was showing off on the dance floor in the middle of a circle of dancers when he completed an impressive back handspring that was caught on video by a fellow reveler June 2.

Unfortunately, his firearm reportedly fell out of its holster in the process. As he knelt down to pick it up, Bishop's gun went off, according to the Denver Police Department.

A bystander was shot in the leg. KMGH reported the victim was hit in a major artery and was saved thanks to a quick-thinking person in the room who applied a tourniquet. 

Video of the incident quickly went viral and Bishop, who was not initially arrested, was detained and held on investigation of second-degree assault charges.

On Tuesday, the Denver District Attorney's Office formally filed charges, adding that Bishop may face additional charges, depending on whether it is determined he was under the influence of alcohol.

“We are filing this charge now rather than waiting until the BAC report is received, which we understand could take another week, because sufficient evidence has been presented to file it," District Attorney Beth McCann said in a news release. 

Mile High Spirits, the Denver distillery where incident occurred, released a statement on Facebook.

"It is shocking that the only shooting to ever occur at our establishment came about as a result of an FBI agent entering our distillery tasting room carrying a loaded firearm without our knowledge, in violation of our rules," the statement read, in part.

The venue went on to say that a security team was able to "execute a catastrophic event plan" that ensured the safe exit of all patrons in the establishment after the shooting.

"The whole team at Mile High Spirits is praying for the victim’s quick recovery, and he’s welcome at Mile High Spirits to enjoy complimentary drinks forever," the statement said.

Meanwhile, the wounded clubgoer, a 24-year-old named Tom Reddington, has since forgiven Bishop.