A California woman ended up with a plateful of grief when she found a dead frog in her salad, and the restaurant tried to make it up to her with a gift card.
Shawna Cepeda opted for the salad over a side of fries while dining at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse in West Covina with her husband and daughter on June 13, a decision she would come to regret.
She said she quickly noticed the salad had a funny taste, but assumed the ranch dressing was a tad bitter. But as she mixed the salad after a few bites, she said she came across the dead amphibian.
“I lost it," she told InsideEdition.com Friday. “I didn’t want to make a scene. I didn’t want to be those people that get up and start screaming. I immediately got up to go to the restroom and threw up.”
Cepeda says the waitress was in disbelief and the manager apologized and explained that the food came through produce vendors. He also offered to comp the meals.
When the waitress brought over their check, they found they still were being charged for their drinks.
“It was only $20, but it was the point behind it," she said. "That blew my mind."
She was also concerned that other people could have been eating contaminated food and the restaurant didn’t make an announcement about the situation.
“I found it hard to believe that I was only person eating the salad from that bag,” Cepeda said.
Cepeda took to Yelp to evaluate her experience at the restaurant, writing: "I'm only giving one star because Yelp makes you do that.”
In an updated Yelp post from Thursday, Cepeda mentions how sick she still feels and how she has not been able to eat as she awaits the handling of the situation. She also posted about the mishap on Facebook.
As an apology, the BJ’s corporate office sent Cepeda a $50 gift card.
“The ‘I’m sorry’ was fine for me, but the $50 gift card was just an insult,” she said.
The restaurant is now investigating.
“Guest satisfaction and quality control are our highest priorities," Greg Levin, BJ's Chief Financial Officer, said in a statement to InsideEdition.com. "We take situations like this very seriously and have launched an internal investigation including discussions with our suppliers and distributors to ensure that nothing like this happens in the future.”
The West Covina location is one of 186 BJ’s eateries.
"Hopefully nobody else is sick,” Cepeda said. They definitely need to do a better job about informing customers because I think that was the most important thing.”