More than 700 people have fallen ill after allegedly eating at a Chipotle restaurant in Ohio, according to reports.
At least 703 inquiries related to a possible food-borne illness outbreak late July at a Chipotle in Powell have been received by the Delaware County General Health District, the Dayton Daily News reported.
But the cause of the illnesses has not been determined, as stool samples tested for salmonella, shigella, E.coli and norovirus have so far come back negative, authorities told the paper.
Leftover food at the restaurant is still being tested, a spokeswoman for the health district said.
At least two lawsuits have already been filed against the restaurant.
Filip Szyller and Clayton Jones have both claimed to have been sickened after eating food purchased at the Powell restaurant. Jones has claimed he has needed continuous medical treatment after eating there on July 27, according to a statement by Ron Simon and Associates, which is representing both him and Szyller.
“This is the first of many lawsuits we will be filing on behalf of local residents who were sickened by contaminated Chipotle food,” Ron Simon said. “We have handled hundreds of claims against Chipotle as this is Chipotle's seventh food poisoning outbreak in the last five years. These lawsuits will force Chipotle to change its ways and make its food safer for everyone not just in Powell, Ohio, but across the United States."
Clayton and Szyller are both seeking damages of at least $25,000 each.
The restaurant at the center of the potential outbreak reopened on Tuesday.
Chipotle said it voluntarily closed the store after the illnesses were reported. They also noted they replaced all food, as well as cleaned and sanitized the restaurant.
“The health of our guests and employees is our top priority,” spokeswoman Laurie Schalow said in a statement to The Washington Post.