When a young mother of two was admitted to a New York City hospital, her family expected it to be a routine procedure. Instead, 27-year-old Rosemary Abreu was pronounced dead the next day.
Abreu’s family, including her mother and two daughters, 2 and 9, are now seeking $50 million in damages from Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx and New York City Health + Hospital.
"They killed my daughter. They killed her. I don't know why. I don't know what happened to my daughter," mom Dorah Restituyo said at a Friday press conference.
Abreu went to the hospital last month to have a cyst removed from her left thigh. At some point, she went into cardiac arrest and slipped into a coma. She was declared dead the next day.
Her family’s attorney, Sanford Rubenstein, said Abreu had otherwise been in good health before the procedure.
"This is tragic and unacceptable," he told ABC News. "A single mother of two young girls should not die under these circumstances. She went in for a simple procedure which was to remove a cyst in the left thigh."
Rubenstein said he believes the procedure went awry and Abreu went into cardiac arrest on the operating table as a result of the anesthesia.
New York City Health + Hospitals told InsideEdition.com in a statement, “The health and safety of our patients is always our number one priority. This incident is tragic, and we offer our sincere condolences to the family and loved ones. Patient privacy and confidentiality laws prevent us from commenting further on this case.”