Wide-Open Doors Helped Fuel Massive Bronx Fire That Killed 8 Children and 9 Adults
The deadly Bronx blaze was fed by malfunctioning doors that should have closed automatically, officials said.
The deadly blaze that ravaged a New York City high-rise was fueled by two malfunctioning doors that should have closed automatically, but instead remained wide open, fire officials said.
Sunday's inferno in the Bronx killed eight children and nine adults and left 13 others fighting for their lives in intensive care, authorities said.
An electric space heater ignited a mattress and started the blaze, officials said, which quickly spread through the apartment's door.
Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said the apartment’s front door and another on the 15th floor should have been self-closing and helped to block smoke, but the doors stayed fully open.
Toxic smoke engulfed the 19-story apartment complex, forcing residents to hang out their windows to breathe.
On Twitter, the Fire Department of New York warned residents about the dangers of open doors during home blazes.
"Closing the door behind you when escaping the fire will trap the fire, prevent it from spreading and save lives," the message advised.
Trending on Inside Edition
'Gunther's Millions' Tells Story of German Shepherd Who Was Said to Have Inherited Millions From a CountessEntertainment
Missing Teen Adriana Davidson’s Family Learned of Her Death While Doing Interview With Local NewsNews
Oregon Man Accused of Kidnap, Torture Also Double-Homicide Suspect: CopsCrime
Lawmakers May Exonerate Victims of the Connecticut Witch Trials Centuries After Executions Were Carried OutNews
Alex Murdaugh Murder Trial: Witnesses Say Patriarch Is Heard on Video Son Filmed Just Before DeathCrime