A 13-year-old boy bitten by a shark over the weekend still has a long road to recovery, but he's determined to get back into the water.
Keane Webre-Hayes was bitten Saturday while diving for lobsters off the coast of Encinitas, a San Diego beach town, and he now remains in the intensive care unit at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
“I think Keane is a miracle,” Keane’s mother, Ellie Hayes, said at a hospital press conference. “I think he’s very, very, very strong and he’s a survivor now."
She said her son had been "emphatic" about lobster diving beforehand.
A witness to the shark attack, Chad Hammel, told CBS News that he heard Keane scream and saw blood. Hammel said the teen was in a panic.
"We told him he's going to be OK; he’s going to be all right," Hammel told FOX 5. "We got help. I yelled at everyone to get out of the water."
Keane suffered major injuries to his upper body, and was airlifted to the hospital.
While he intends to get back into the water, it's unclear how long his recovery will be.
Before the attack, Keane had promised to make her a lobster dinner.
"So he owes me one,” Hayes said.
Keane was reportedly the first shark attack in the area in three decades, reports said.
A GoFundMe for the teen has already raised more than $30,000.