Florida Woman Accused of Stabbing Her Husband to Death Was Once His Stepdaughter

Danielle Redlick is accused of killing her husband, Michael.
Michael Redlick was stabbed to death by his wife, Danielle, police said.Handouts

The new detail emerged in court documents released last week.

A Florida mother of two who is accused of fatally stabbing her husband was once his stepdaughter, according to court records.

Danielle Redlick is charged with second-degree murder and tampering with evidence in the January death of her husband, Michael, a former executive for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies who was an administrator at the University of Central Florida at the time of his killing.

In the late 1990s, Michael Redlick was dating a woman who developed breast cancer, a friend told investigators, according to court documents released last week, Fox 35 reported. He married the woman, who was Danielle's mother, so she would have access to better health insurance, the friend said. 

The woman died in 1999, according to court records. After Michael's death, Danielle reportedly told investigators the couple had been married for 17 years. They have two children, ages 15 and 11, who are expected to testify at their mother's trial, prosecutors said.

Danielle waited 11 hours before calling 911 to report her husband was unresponsive, police said. She initially said he had suffered a heart attack, but later told the emergency operator Michael had self-inflicted stab wounds, authorities said.

She told police the couple had fought and that she had grabbed a knife in self-defense, according to her arrest affidavit. Michael grabbed the knife away and stabbed himself, she allegedly told police.

Officers found blood throughout the couple's home and evidence that someone had tried to clean up the mess with towels and bleach, authorities said. 

Danielle said she and her husband argued over claims of infidelity and flirty text messages with another man that Michael found on her phone, according to authorities. 

She has pleaded not guilty. She remains in jail without bail. Her trial is scheduled to being later this month.