Thanks to one woman’s favorite potato chip, she found out she had tonsil cancer.
Kristine Moore says she's been eating Ruffles potato chips just about every day for the last 20 years of her life.
Last month, she was munching on her favorite snack when something unusual happened.
“I took a bite of a chip, and I must not have chewed it up enough and it poked me in my tonsil,” she said.
She felt a sharp pain and went to the doctor where she got a shocking diagnosis that she had tonsil cancer.
Oncologist Dr. William Wisbeck of Providence Medical Center in Everett, Washington, says the Ruffles potato chip probably saved her life.
“The potato chip injury did help her discover the cancer early. It probably would have been another year before she noticed anything,” the doctor said.
Her husband, Bob, says it's a miracle, telling IE: “By taking a bite of one particular potato chip, on one particular day, at a particular time, saved her life.”
She will now undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment and is expected to make a full recovery.
“It's like a blessing in disguise,” she said.