Police have identified the third terrorist involved in the London Bridge attack Saturday night as an Italy native who was living in London and working at a restaurant.
Youssef Zaghba, 22, the son of an Italian mother and Moroccan father, was reportedly stopped at Italy's Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport last year as he was headed to Syria via Turkey.
Zaghba, who was by himself and appeared “agitated,” was carrying only a backpack and no additional luggage, according to reports.
“I am going to be a terrorist,” he told officials after he was stopped.
His passport and phone were confiscated and according to Italy’s Corriere Della Sera, police found propaganda videos and sermons that confirmed he wished to join the Islamic state.
He was also on Italy’s list of persons at risk, but police in the U.K. said he was not on the radar of counter-terrorism investigators.
Italian authorities alerted British and Moroccan officials about his movements after he was questioned and released by police, Corriere Della Sera reported.
Police said Tuesday that his family has been notified.
His mother, who lived outside Bologna, told investigators last year: “I don’t recognize him anymore. He frightens me. He spends all day in front of the computer watching incredibly strange things.”
The other two attackers were identified Monday as Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30. All three were killed by British authorities Saturday night.
Seven people died and at least 48 were injured after a van drove into pedestrians on London Bridge before the suspects hopped out and went on a stabbing rampage in nearby Borough Market on Saturday night.