California Wildfire Was Accidentally Started by Rancher Trying to Get Rid of Wasps
It was the largest recorded wildfire in California history and a just-released investigation reveals it was accidentally started by a rancher trying to kill some wasps. Investigators say the ranch fire started when the man came upon a nest of wasps buried underground last July. The rancher, Glenn Kile, is allergic to wasp stings, so he took a metal stake and pounded it into the ground to try to seal the nest off. Unfortunately, a single spark flew up and ignited dry grass on his property.