Chris Taylor would never have thought a day at the beach with his canine companion would turn fatal.
Taylor had taken his 7-year-old Labrador retriever, O.G., to play in the ocean at a beach near Tampa, Florida. It was one of the dog's favorite places to be.
"I didn't think it could lead to his death," Taylor told Inside Edition’s Les Trent. "He loved to swim, he loved to play, loved to play fetch."
After spending the day swimming and playing in the salt water, O.G. began experiencing severe stomach issues.
The next day, Taylor said he became lethargic and increasingly more disoriented.
"He started to not acknowledge who I was, he just walked into the corner and stared blankly," Taylor said.
Taylor took O.G. to the vet, but despite receiving an IV, he did not survive.
The cause of O.G.’s death was salt water poisoning, which evolved from overconsumption of water while playing in the waves. Veterinarian Dr. Jeff Werber told Inside Edition that most people don't realize how dangerous salt water can be for dogs.
Dr. Werber recommends these tips when hitting the beach with your pup:
1. Offer frequent fresh water breaks in between playtime in the salt water
2. Limit the dog’s time in the ocean to two hours
3. Look for shade for the dog
Dr. Werber also listed some symptoms of salt water poisoning.
“You might find your dog vomiting at first and having diarrhea,” he said. “Then ultimately, you will see sign of them light-headed, shiver and shake tremors.”