The devastating blaze at the Arthur Capper Senior Apartments displaced more than 100 residents.
An elderly man has been found alive in his apartment, five days after a devastating fire broke out in his Washington, D.C. senior apartment building that displaced more than 100 residents, according to reports.
Raymond Holton, 74, was found injured but with a “sense of humor” in the Arthur Capper Senior Apartments in the Navy Yard Monday, having remained in his second-floor home since the fire broke out the previous Wednesday, WUSA-TV reported.
Holton, who was found to be in “incredibly good shape,” was helped to a kitchen chair and then carried out of the building after telling emergency responders who found him he wanted to walk out of the building on his own.
Holton had been confined to his apartment because the door was jammed and had no electricity, but he suffered non-life-threatening injuries and jokingly told the crews who found him he “wasn’t going any place.”
The discovery of Holton came after Mayor Muriel Bowser said at a press conference last week that all tenants in the building were accounted for and had made it out of the building.
Officials “cannot say specifically what happened to this particular unit,” Bowser told WUSA-TV.
Authorities are working to reconfirm all residents are now accounted for.
Arthur Capper Senior Apartments, "Washington’s most sought-after senior apartment homes," was completed in 2007. The five-story apartment building, located near the U.S. Capitol, had 162 apartments for rent. The units contained either one or two bedrooms.
“Most have lost everything,” Near Southeast Community Partners, a community organization raising funds for the displaced, wrote on their website. Donate to their fundraising efforts by clicking here.
The Capitol Hill Community Foundation has partnered with the Van Ness Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization and ANC Commissioner Meredith Fascett to also fundraise for those displaced. Click here to learn more on how to donate.