U.S. Woman Uses YouTube to Deliver Her Baby Alone in Turkey Hotel Room

Tia Freeman said she Googled 'how to deliver a baby.'

Sometimes, you just have to do things yourself.

Take Tia Freeman for example. The Air Force computer specialist was alone in a hotel room in Turkey when she realized didn't have food poisoning, she was in labor.

So what's a 22-year-old to do in foreign country where she didn't speak the language? She says she Googled "how to deliver a baby," and followed along as a YouTube video talked her through giving birth.

"So here my a-- is in a hotel room all by lonesome learning how to deliver my own baby," she wrote on Twitter. To InsideEdition.com, she said, "I focused on the task at hand, which didn't allow me to panic, thankfully."

Freeman didn't know she was carrying a child until six months into her pregnancy. She didn't gain much weight, she said, and didn't suffer any symptoms such as morning sickness.

She had already purchased a ticket for a vacation trip to Germany, and figured she had enough time to go and come back before she gave birth. She didn't.

Freeman was about 13 hours into a 14-hour flight to Istanbul when she started feeling cramps. She thought it was the salmon she had for dinner on board the jetliner. 

But the cramping only worsened and by the time she got to customs, "I'm literally gripping the railing trying to make it through the line. At this point, I feel like I'm about to pass out," she tweeted. "I'm sweating. I feel like I have to vomit. I'm going through it. Then I'm like wait a minute b---- are you in labor?"


She decided to go straight to her hotel. She was supposed to overnight there before heading on to Germany. By this point, she could barely stand because of the pain. 

That was when she began typing into her phone. 

She filled the tub with warm water, grabbed a towel to bite down on and another to wrap around the baby.

"Luckily, it happened pretty quickly. I only had to push about 5-6x before a baby popped out. Lol now let me tell you babies are buoyant. That little joker said bloop and floated right on up to the top of the water," she wrote. 

She tied off the umbilical cord with her shoe laces.

The next day, she took the baby to the airport, where Turkish airport employees told her she had to wait two weeks before she could bring the baby on a plane. She also needed a birth certificate. And baby clothes.

Turkish Airline workers helped her get a tiny outfit, gave her vouchers for food, paid for her hotel stay and even helped her learn the intricacies of breastfeeding, she said. 

She named him Xavier. He was born on March 7. Mother and baby are doing fine and are now home with her family in Tennessee.