Waffle House Shooting Suspect Travis Reinking in Custody: Police

"Travis Reinking apprehended moments ago in a wooded area near Old Hickory Blvd & Hobson Pk.," Police wrote.

Travis Reinking, the suspect in a shooting that left four people dead at a Tennessee Waffle House over the weekend, has been arrested after more than a day on the run, police said.

Reinking, 29, was taken into custody about 2 p.m. Monday, Metro Nashville Police announced on its verified Twitter page.

"Arrested moments ago," MNPD wrote at 2:05 p.m.

Police also released images of Reinking after he was taken into custody.

"Travis Reinking apprehended moments ago in a wooded area near Old Hickory Blvd & Hobson Pk.," police said. 

A tip from a community member led police to the woods not far from Reinking's home. There, he was apparently spotted and made no attempts at running. 

"As soon as the detective saw him, [the detective] pulled out his weapon and told him to get on the ground," Lt. Carlos Lara with the Nashville Police told reporters at a press conference Monday. 

Police found Reinking's identification in his back pocket and a gun and ammunition in a black backpack he was carrying, police said. 

Reinking is not believed to have made any statements when he was taken into custody, officials said. 

Reinking is accused of opening fire outside a Waffle House in Antioch at about 3:25 a.m. Sunday. He then entered the restaurant to continue his rampage, police said. 

Six people were shot before 29-year-old James Shaw, Jr., wrestled Reinking’s AR-15 rifle away from him, officials said. 

Three people died at the scene and a fourth person later died at the hospital. The victims were identified as 29-year-old Taurean C. Sanderlin, 20-year-old Joe R. Perez, 21-year-old DeEbony Groves and 23-year-old Akilah DaSilva.

Two others were being treated for gunshot wounds at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, authorities said.

Reinking, who was wearing only a jacket during the shooting, fled the area on foot and returned home to put on a pair of pants, police said.

Reinking was arrested on the grounds of the White House complex area by Secret Service officers on July 7, 2017 after refusing to leave, officials said. He reportedly said he wanted a meeting with President Trump.

He was released and later interviewed by the FBI. Four of Reinking’s weapons, including the AR-15 used in Sunday’s shooting, were seized by law enforcement and his license to possess firearms was revoked, according to reports.

The weapons were given to Reinking’s father, who police believe later gave them back to his son, according to reports. 

Officials said they are investigating whether Reinking's father broke any laws if he did in fact give the weapons back to his son. 


Travis Reinking, Waffle House Shooting Suspect, Previously Arrested at White House

Father of Parkland Shooting Victim Said He Doesn't Want Cruz's Inheritance Money

Reba McEntire Plans Tribute to Vegas Shooting Victims as She Hosts ACM Awards