6-Year-Old Boy Among 3 Killed in Shooting at California Food Festival

A gunman opened fire at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival in California on Sunday.

A gunman opened fire at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival in California Sunday, killing three people and injuring 15 others.

The shooting broke out at around 5:30 p.m. PT when a few hundred people were gathered to watch the rock band TinMan. Within minutes, the gunman was shot dead by police.

"It's sort of a nightmare you hope you never have to live in reality," Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said at a press conference later. 

It’s believed that the gunman was wearing tactical gear and had an assault rifle, according to multiple reports. The gunman has not yet been identified by police, who said they are still looking for a possible accomplice as well.

Among the dead was a 6-year-old boy, Stephen Luciano Romero, of San Jose. Stephen was at the festival with his mother, who was also injured but is expected to survive.

"This is really hard, there's no words...." Romero's grandmother told KRON. "He was such a happy kid, I don't think that this is fair."

Police said the suspect or suspects cut through a wire fence by a nearby creek to enter the festival and then began shooting randomly.

Several videos that have surfaced of the shooting show people running and screaming as the sound of gunfire is heard.

“I watched him walk up, he raised his gun and started spraying rounds all around,” witness Ryan Wallace told KNTV. “He was walking like he wanted to get stuff done. It was horrifying. He was ready to do some damage.”

Another witness, Miquita Price, told KGUN there was "blood everywhere."

"I read about this but I never thought I would be in it," she said.

The three-day festival usually sees more than 100,000 visitors and features live entertainment, with the goal of celebrating the local garlic industry. 

"I would ask for the thoughts and prayers of the community as our officers continue to investigate this tragic and senseless crime," Mayor Roland Velasco said after the tragedy.